About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching English in Japan and traveling when I can. I don't want to forget anything. So, I try to blog. This is my life.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mmm..massages!

So, a big thank you goes out to my sister, brother, brother-in-law and nephew for the massage I got today. It was really good. It was an amazing Christmas present! It also was much needed. I forgot how relaxing a good massage can really be. It's funny how it takes me a while to really let go and truly relax. The thoughts that went through my mind the first half hour or so would have made anyone laugh probably. I must say, major props go out to all of the people in the world that give massages for a living. I could not do it. I don't mind being touched, but touching someone else would kind of creep me out. What if you get a man who doesn't like to shower, or a girl who refuses to shave in the winter? You never know what you will be dealing with until your client walks through the door. I just could not do it. But, I sure am thankful that there are people in this world that can!

11 days and 14 hours until I leave for Japan. Well, actually until I leave for Seattle. I will be in Seattle for a few days going through training and then will head to Japan from there. I found out that I will be living in the same apartment building as my best friend, Sarah. This makes me feel so much more comfortable with the whole thing. She is such a blessing in my life; truly that once in a lifetime friend for me. It will be so good to have her there, especially because just one year before she was in my exact same shoes. She knows what it's like transitioning into the new life in Japan.

I feel like I have been so caught up in the excitement/nervousness of picking up and moving to the other side of the world that I forget one important thing. I am moving to the other side of the world to have a class full of my very own kids! I will have a bunch of little lives that I will be responsible for. I will finally be a real life teacher, and will have such an amazing opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of my kids. I am so looking forward to meeting all of them and getting started in my own classroom.

I am dreading saying goodbye. I'm still not sure how I'm going to manage to leave my nephew. I really can't think about it yet. He's pretty much the center of my world right now, the most important little man in my life. Thinking about how much he has changed and grown just in the 14 and a half months that he has been on this Earth makes me dread the 14 months that I will be away from him. He's going to be a completely different person when I get back, talking like crazy and so much bigger. Anyway, like I said, I can't think about it.

One thing that I was thinking about last night that I am thankful for, is that God is the same here in the States as he will be in Japan. Everything else around me might be different, but to know that He is still the same is a comforting thought. I think I am ready for the change.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for doing this Kim. I can't even express how proud of you I am. For someone that hates decisions and change, you blew us all away on this one. You are so much stronger than most people, including yourself, give you credit for. You have so much to offer, so much love, so much compassion and empathy. This is not just a teaching job, you always take the more adventurous route. Japan! Eek. For a non-fish eater, you are the bravest soul I know. Just as in any other difficult situation in your life, you always rise above, and I anticipate history to repeat itself in this journey of yours!!!
    There's so much I could say, but most importantly...I am going to miss you so much! I'm with ya, I have been pushing the reality of this out of my head for months now. I'm going to miss you so much it hurts, and that's so silly. I moved away for 3 years, you were gone for 3 years, I was gone before that for several years. It's how we've been for years. But this last year has been different. I have come to appreciate you for the awesome woman you have become, not just the little sister that I've always known you to be. I can't really allow myself to think about raising Tanner for even 14 months without you here. You are one of the greatest influences in his life. You are the best Aunt I could ever have asked for for him. He loves you so much, and from the very beginning when you flew across the country to meet him, you two have had a special bond. A bond that can never be broken. You know there have been times when no one can calm him, but his momma....and his Aunt Kim! That bond is so special and it will travel with you to Japan. Yes, things will be different without you physically here, but he knows who his Aunt Kim is and you better believe he'll be seeing her on the computer. You are such an important person in my life that he could never go a day without being reminded who you are and how lucky he is to have you. I love how you love him.

    14 months goes faster than you think....look at Tanner. In the next 14 months, I expect God has a great deal of things to reveal to you, and life has many adventures to lead you on. I am so excited for you. Stay strong, you deserve this opportunity. That school doesn't know how fortunate they are to have you. Big things coming your way Sis!

    I will miss you Kim and I will ALWAYS be here for you, no matter what time! I love you very much.

    Your proud sister,
    Kelli <3

    ReplyDelete