About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching English in Japan and traveling when I can. I don't want to forget anything. So, I try to blog. This is my life.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

1 week down..

I can't believe I have been in Japan for a week. At the same time, I can't believe I've only been in Japan a week! It went by so fast, but at the same time it seems like I left the States so long ago! I haven't blogged in a few days, so I will try to remember what I did on those days. Thursday, we went and opened our bank accounts and got medical insurance. So, I am now insured in Japan which is a good thing! Then I went to work for about two hours. I just was listening to the songs and trying to learn the chants and books that we will be using to teach. Thursday night Sarah and I made dinner. We went to the grocery store and decided we were going to make meat loaf. Um, I had never made meat loaf, and honestly hardly ever even eaten it! But, it actually turned out really good! We also made mashed potatoes, frozen vegetables, and s'mores! She made some kind of stuffed dumpling thing, I forget what it is called. It was actually pretty good.

Friday we had a meeting with our supervisors. Then I went and helped with a Valentines Day party. I got to spend some time in Sarah's class just hanging out with her kids. Some of those kids will be my kids soon! They are so cute! And they really can speak English after just one year, it's amazing! Friday night I went to dinner with Sarah and another girl, Anne. We went to a Japanese American restaurant. I got french toast. :)

Saturday we went on a tour of downtown. They showed us good places to buy bigger people clothes and shoes. Also, the import store where they have some things you can't get here. Of course they are super expensive! But, if you have a real craving..that's the place to go! At lunch I tried miso (spelling?) soup. It had seaweed in it, and tofu. But, it actually wasn't horrible. Maybe the food is growing on me...probably not! Yesterday was a long day. We were pretty much walking from 10am until we got back at like 6:30pm.

Saturday night, a couple of the girls made dinner for a bunch of us. Then we watched Mama Mia on the projector in the basement of the school. It was fun to get to hang out with all of the girls. I wish I hadn't been so tired though. It's hard to try to get to know a bunch of people in a huge group like that, at least for me. Also, I feel like some of these girls feel like they know me somewhat because of Sarah talking about me and stuff. So, sometimes it's like added pressure because they feel like they know me, or have a certain idea of what I am like, and then I just feel weird. The real me is shy, and I've been trying my best to not be, but sometimes it's just hard to open up to new people so much.

Overall, my first week in Japan was really good. I have been having some really bad jaw pain, so I am praying that it gets better and I don't have to go to another dentist over here. Other than that, life is great!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad to hear that your first week went well! I was also relieved for you that you found a store to buy "big girl" clothes! I'm still offended by that, but oh well...we here American's enjoy a little meat on the bones!!! Glad you have a way to get some import stuff too, to help get that feeling of "home" when you need it! We love and miss you! Keep writing...me and Dad were talking yesterday how you hadn't written since Wednesday...we need it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete