About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching English in Japan and traveling when I can. I don't want to forget anything. So, I try to blog. This is my life.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Japanese holidays

Today was a holiday. I have no idea what it is, but we didn't have to do anything today so it was nice! We decided to take the subway downtown just to see what was there. Six of us went, and it was fun. There are tons of really cool looking shops, I am excited to check them out in the future. We ate at some hamburger place. Haha, I'm in Japan and I get a cheeseburger and fries. The food will just have to change slowly for me I think. We also went to another 100 yen shop. Only this one, was amazing! It was like, six stories tall. They had so much more! I could seriously spend a whole day there. I love that store. I just got to do a quick look though, because there were other people with me, so I didn't want to be rude. But, one day soon, I will be sure to cover every inch of that place!

I am sore today! My legs are hurting a bit from all of the walking and stair climbing! My campus is set on a pretty big hill. Luckily, where I will be working is at the bottom of that hill, along with my apartment. But, in order to get to the dining hall, or the main part of campus, you have to climb a ton of stairs! They make me nervous because they are all uneven and stuff. I will definitely get a nice workout just trying to get around this place!

Tonight, they took us bowling. It was really fun! They have shoe dispensers kind of like a soda machine! (That's what the picture is, you buy your shoes from the locker looking thing, and then you return them into the little white rectangle door to the left.)You put your money in whatever size shoe you need and it shoots out the bottom. Pretty cool idea! I bowled a 112 tonight, so I was pretty proud of myself! I had a lot of fun with the new teachers and got to know some of the older teachers as well.


After bowling they took us back to the other campus and had a welcome party for us new teachers. They had tacos and then sushi. I stuck to the tacos. It was nice just hanging out with people and getting to know them. I am super tired tonight though.

I learned a couple of new words today as well. I learned "You are welcome" "Go ahead" I'm sorry" and I think that is all. I sometimes get them confused, but I am working on it! I just want to learn enough to be able to function. It will certainly take a lot of time and practice though!

3 comments:

  1. Even though this picture is all confirming that you are actually in Japan...Kim, I'm telling ya...I still can't convince my brain of that!!! I miss you. Glad you're having fun over there, and I couldn't be more thankful that Sarah is there with you. Your world is so new and exciting right now...I'm so excited for you. You're apartment is really cute. And the slides are awesome...not for my son though!!!!! No way! But how fun!!! 112...nice! You get you're wii yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim!

    I'm jealous. Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy every minute of it. Take advantage of everything that comes along. Try some octopus. I won't hurt for very long. You might be the only McGarvey on the planet that can come back and say they ate octopus. I wouldn't do it. I drew the line at dog.

    Love you! Have lots and lots of fun.

    Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kim!!! I love being part of your adventure! And i love, love, love how you mention food (or what you're NOT eating) in every post! I can't wait to see what's in store for you on your adventure of a lifetime!!!

    Love ya, Darla

    ReplyDelete