About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching English in Japan and traveling when I can. I don't want to forget anything. So, I try to blog. This is my life.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

I made it!

I am officially in Japan. Wow, it was a long trip. I had a great time in Seattle and am so glad that we had to spend a few days there before flying to Japan. It was a great chance to get to know the other new teachers. We also got to go tour Safeco field where the Seattle Mariners play. It was pretty cool! We even got to go down into the clubhouse and see where they keep their stuff and get ready, their workout room, their medical room, and got to walk up to to the dugout the same way they do. It was fun! I have pictures, maybe I will post some later on.

We met this morning (or yesterday morning, or two mornings ago, oh you know what I mean) at 8:50 at the hotel. We loaded up the luggage and headed to the airport. Our flight was supposed to leave at 1. We boarded the plane, started to drive, and then stopped. We ended up going back to the gate because they said a computer didn't reset. Then they said that the fuel gauge wasn't working right so we needed to add more fuel. Then they said they had to fix something on the wing.. The pilot told us four minutes, which turned into about 2 and a half hours. So, before we took off on our almost 11 hour flight, we got to sit at the gate on the plane an extra 2 and a half. Ugh. But, the time actually went by pretty quickly. I watched 2 and a half movies, read quite a bit, listened to music, and slept about an hour. We finally made it into the airport and through customs. Then, we had a six hour bus ride. We stopped to eat. I got Ramen. Which, is really like Ramen noodles only supposedly higher quality and better. It had a funny flavor to it, but it was okay. Food is something I will struggle with here.

We finally made it to the first school to drop a couple of people off. Sara Beeler, my old RA and friend was there waiting for us. It was good to see her! Then they drove us to our campus. A lady named Katherine drove me to my apartment. It is super cute! It's on the first floor (thank the Lord, I don't think we could have carried the luggage up the stairs). She showed me how everything works, lots of buttons and such. They stocked us up on some food to get us through until we exchange our money and get to the store. They really take care of us. It's encouraging to see how well they treat their teachers. I think that this will be an amazing experience and that I will get to know some great people here.

It is 3:50am Japan time. I am awake. I did sleep on the bus, so that is throwing me off a bit. However, I am starting to drag, so sleep should be coming soon. The next few days we will just be taking care of things (opening bank accounts and such). Tomorrow I should get to see Sarah King and I can't wait! I have missed her so much and am so excited to have her back in my life again!! Okay. I think I need sleep. I will post pictures soon. I'll also take some of my apartment and post them as well!

The toilet seats here are amazing by the way! They are heated and I love it! Not too excited about using squatty potties though, which they do have a lot of as well.

Enough for now. If you are reading this, I love you and miss you but am so excited for what comes next in my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment