About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching English in Japan and traveling when I can. I don't want to forget anything. So, I try to blog. This is my life.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Oconomiyaki

Now, some of you might think, "God bless you" after reading that title, but it is actually what I had for dinner last night. :) Sarah, another girl Nancy, and I went to a true Japanese restaurant last night. We sat on the floor and everything! See:

I was a little nervous about the food, but I was assured you could get pork or beef and it wouldn't have any sneaky seafood in it. They truly do that here, seems like everything has some sort of seafood in it and they fail to mention that! I mean, I try..but, honestly, one taste of fishiness, and my dinner is usually ruined. I can't get that taste out of my mouth, and..it kinda makes me want to gag. Haha, sorry to those of you fish fans. :)

Anyway, oconomiyaki is actually kind of like a pancake, though not really. You order what you want and then it comes in a big bowl. On the bottom of the bowl is a pancake-type batter. Then all your toppings (I got pork, carrots, cheese, and corn) and an egg on top of all that. It looked like this:

Then, you mix it all up and pour it onto the grill thing, just like a pancake! You flatten it out and then let it cook for a few minutes:
After it has started to brown, you flip it...
Then, while it is cooking, you add some toppings. There is this brown sauce that kinda seems like bbq sauce, it was a little sweet. That's all I put on mine. However, there is seaweed, fish flakes, and mayo for those a bit more daring. I tried Sarah's with it all on there and it really wasn't too bad.
This was my finished product, and it was yummy!
So, I was pretty proud of myself that I actually liked a true Japanese dish. Baby steps, right?

Today was my first day observing in a classroom all day. I was in the room that will be my actual room come April. The kids were so stinkin' cute! I had a lot of fun with them. And, I honestly think I can do this job. And do it well for that matter. That's not to say it will not be challenging, but I really feel confident that I can be a good teacher to these kids. I got my class list today with all of my kids names on it. I will have 9 boys and 7 girls. I am so excited! I've started working on materials and stuff for my class. It's all starting to seem a little more real that I am going to be a real teacher. It is not, however, starting to seem more real that I live in Japan. I think I'm still in a state of shock or something..it doesn't even register in my mind yet. However, it does make me think about it when I get home from work at 5pm and want to call someone and realize that it is 2am back home. Guess it will just take some getting used to and some planning on my part.

2 comments:

  1. Once again...super proud! Not so sure about that mixture! The raw picture looks disgusting!!!! Glad you are starting to feel more at ease over there! I wish it wasn't 2am here when it's 5pm there! I miss you. I wanted to call yesterday to see if you wanted to go on a walk with me and Tanner...I gotta get it in my head that you're gone...it just hasn't sunk in yet! Anyway, I'm so excited about your enthusiasm for your kids...and your new job! Can't wait to hear more! Are you Miss Kim or Miss McGarvey???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pancake thing looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete