About Me

My photo
I'm currently teaching English in Japan and traveling when I can. I don't want to forget anything. So, I try to blog. This is my life.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chopsticks

Wow, time really goes fast here. It feels like I just blogged yesterday. Saturday night, Sarah and I met up with three other new teachers from the other campus. It stinks that they are so far away. It wouldn't be so bad if one of us could drive, but by train or bus it takes a while to get from one campus to the other. Hopefully after next week Sarah will be able to drive again. Her year permit for driving is up, so she has to get an actual Japanese license. I am definitely not comfortable enough with the roads to even try to drive yet. I still have occasional moments of panic when I see a car turning in the wrong lane towards us, except for them, it is the right lane. I think it will take a while longer until I get the hang of it. I also still have to mentally remind myself to walk to the opposite side of the car as the passenger. Weird. Even when I am walking somewhere, I can't remember which way to look first because I'm not sure which side the cars should be coming from, haha. Although, it's on my life to do list to drive a car like this on the opposite side of the road! So, I will soon be able to cross that off of my list.

Sunday we had fellowship. A bunch of the foreign staff (weird that I am a foreigner) gets together once a month for "church." Singing songs, someone talks, reading the Bible, prayer.. It was really nice to have that. It is weird not going to church twice a week. I am hoping to maybe try to find a church that I can attend. There is one that is a Japanese church, but they hand out the sermon in English. We'll just have to see what I can find.
After fellowship we went out to eat. I had a hard time figuring out what to order. You basically order raw meat and cook it yourself. It wasn't bad. Not my number one pick for food in life, but..I guess maybe for life in Japan it will have to do.

This week I have been at Takamori campus (the campus across town) observing. It's weird being over there, but I have liked being in those classrooms. It is good to see all of the different teaching styles teach the same material. Although the curriculum is very specific, I have seen that you can add your own personality and teaching styles to it as well.
Tomorrow, I will be "teaching" for the first time. Nothing big really. I am supposed to lead stations and lunch, which are the easiest parts of the day I think. Teaching-wise anyway. It will be good to have something to during the day besides just observe. I will actually be alone with the kids for a bit on Monday in Sarah's room. She is going to get her drivers lesson, so I will be watching her class. I'm pretty sure it is just play time, so shouldn't be too hard!

In other news, I am pretty much almost a pro at the whole chopstick thing. I have had a couple of compliments on my skill. Especially from someone that saw me eat my corn that very first day, haha!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I'm excited about you getting to drive on the opposite side of the road! That was definitely such a weird thing when we were in the Bahamas...it is scary seeing cars turn and head into what seems should be your lane! Good luck with that!
    Congrats on the Chopstick success! I'm sure that helps..I was wondering if we should send a bag of plastic forks for you to take everywhere with you. No need now i guess!!! I miss you...it's nice out today for a change. I'm thinking park, and that always makes me think Aunt Kim. Tanner misses you too, we talk about you all the time. Wish we were rich and could just come visit! But, hey almost a month has gone by already since you left! Only 13 more to go!! Ha. For you I want to time to go slow though. There is just so much for you to experience and I don't want you to miss a thing! I'm still cracking up about the ATM fiasco!!! USA or JAPAN...you're still Kim!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete